Barbecue – Afghan Style
Who doesn’t love a good BBQ in the summer? How about an Afghan style grill? Our menu includes kebabs, roasted corn, naan and a simple salad. And don’t forget the ice cream for dessert!
Super easy! Super tasty!
One of our faves!
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1/2 cup yogurt (optional)
- Salt and black or red pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 pounds boneless lamb, cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 pieces of naan (available at most supermarkets)
- Mix the lemon juice, crushed garlic, yogurt, salt, pepper and coriander in a bowl. Add the lamb and oil. Mix well and marinate, covered, in the refrigerator for several hours or overnight.
- Preheat the grill. Thread the meat on to the skewers. Grill, turning frequently, for about 15 to 20 minutes until brown and cooked.
- Place the naan on a large dish, remove the kebabs from the skewers and place them on the bread.
- Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper, garnish with the tomato, onion and lemon, and fold the naan over to keep the kebabs warm. Extra naan can be served separately. A fresh green salad is a wonderful accompaniment.
- 4 ears corn, shucked
- Butter, for serving
- Kosher salt
- Preheat grill to high and heat for 10 minutes. (Alternatively, preheat grill pan to high.) Add corn and cook, turning often, until charred all over, about 10 minutes.
- Spread butter over warm corn and season with salt.
Naan – Find great naan these days at your local grocery store.
Middle Eastern Summer Salad
- 6 cups romaine chopped
- 1 large tomato chopped
- 4 white radishes thinly sliced
- 1 red pepper diced
- 1 peeled cucumber chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped mint or 2 tablespoons dried mint
- 1 lemon juiced
- 2 cloves garlic grated/crushed
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons za’atar
- salt and pepper to taste
Place your salad ingredients of choice in a large bowl.
Add fresh herbs.
Squeeze the juice of one lemon around the bowl, carefully holding your opposite hand underneath to catch the seeds.
Grate garlic directly over the salad using a microplane.
Drizzle olive oil around the edge of the salad (this will help ensure the salad is dressed evenly as you toss.)
Using, hands, gently toss the salad together. Sprinkle with zaatar, salt and pepper to taste.
Happy Summertime Eating!